Volunteers needed to help get the CCC camp ready for its Grand Re-Opening!
CCC Camp Update
One final Volunteer Work Day is scheduled at the CCC site,as we get closer to the April 12th ribbon-cutting.
Plan on joining us at the Grundy Forest trailhead, at 9:00 am:
Saturday, March 30th
This will be the final clean-up for the April 12th ribbon-cutting!
Be sure to wear sturdy work shoes or boots, bring work gloves, water and lunch. Optionally, you're encouraged to bring a rigid garden rake. Be sure to put your name on your tools!
Also, make plans to tour the CCC site after it officially opens to the public during Trails and Trilliums weekend. There will be guided tours of the site offered several times each day on Saturday, April 13th and Sunday, April 14th, as part of the Friends' 2019 Trails and Trilliums festival. Check the Trails and Trilliums website for all the latest on tour times, and all of the other great activities planned for Trails and Trilliums weekend!
Thanks to all our VISTA, TN Naturalist and other volunteers
who turned out on a very chilly January day to help us clear the new interpretive trail and haul brush at the CCC Camp in Grundy Forest!
Click on any image below to see photos from our January work-day:
The CCC Camp Restoration Project
Thanks to the financial support of the South Cumberland Community Fund and other generous donors, SCSP Rangers and Friends Volunteers are working on the final phase of an ambitious plan to re-create portions of the village that housed nearly 200 members of Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1475 at Grundy Forest, near Tracy City.
In the 1930s, the Federal Government created the CCC program to provide paying jobs for able-bodied young men needing work during the Great Depression. CCC Company 1475 called this workers’ village home. The camp included a number of buildings which housed, fed, hospitalized and stored equipment and supplies for the workers of Company 1475 from the mid-1930s until the start of World War II. Around 1938, Company 1475 also set up a satellite camp at what is now Franklin State Forest, near Jumpoff Road, south of Sewanee.
The young men of Company 1475 undertook many projects which improved the lives of people in this area. One CCC legacy is the chain of Grundy Lakes, now used for swimming, paddling, and fishing. CCC personnel built some of the first hiking trails in what would later become South Cumberland State Park. They also erected fire towers, built roads, strung some of the first telephone lines in this area, and fought forest fires. They were also instrumental in helping contain a 1935 fire in downtown Tracy City — one of the biggest fires in Grundy County history. Company 1475, among many other CCC companies, were also called in to help control Mississippi River flooding in the spring of 1937, an effort for which Company 1475 received high marks.
The site of Company 1475’s camp is located on what, until 2016, was the “CCC Campground” in the Grundy Forest area of South Cumberland State Park. Phase One of the project identified, cleared, and began to conserve some of the aging camp infrastructure — building foundations, cisterns, paths. The current phase of the project involves creation of a new interpretive loop trail that will take visitors to the most interesting areas of the site.
MEDIA COVERAGE RELATED TO THE CCC PROJECT: